Are you incorporating dynamic stretching exercises before every workout? Because without a proper dynamic stretch, you might not be getting the most out of your training, and worse yet, there’s a much higher chance you’re going to get injured. If you haven’t heard of it, dynamic stretching is a way of warming up that incorporates movement and activates the muscles. It’s highly recommended for loosening up your muscles, ligaments, and tendons, and promoting full body blood flow and oxygenation.
We love dynamic stretches so much, we think everyone and their grandma should have their own collection of pre-workout stretches. So, without further ado, here’s a quick list of dynamic warm ups so you can make your own basic stretching routine.
1. Lunge with a Twist
Want a one-two-punch basic stretching routine that’ll target your upper and lower body at the same time? A lunge with the twist is the perfect way to loosen up your hip flexors and back while activating your glutes, quads, and core.
To perform it, you:
- Lunge with your left foot forward and your right leg back
- Drop your hips
- Fold your arms and twist your upper body to the left
- Repeat on the opposite side
2. Page Turns
Every list of dynamic stretches has at least one variation of the Page Turns. This slow stretch gives you an excuse to lie back and relax on the floor, and it’s amazing for opening up the glutes and loosening tight backs. Trust us, you’re gonna want to greet this stretch with arms wide open.
To do a Page Turn, you:
- Get in a fetal position on your left, with your knees stacked on top of each other
- Spread your arms open so your right arm reaches across the mat
- Bring your right arm back for just a couple seconds
- Repeat for around 5-6 sets on each side
3. Outer Thigh Stretch
Strike a pose with an outer thigh stretch, a soothing move that’ll help you release tightness in your lower back and outer thighs.
- Sit on the floor
- Bend your left leg and cross it over your right knee.
- Put your left hand on the floor.
- Turn your upper body to the left for 5 seconds.
- Turn your body to the right for 5 seconds.
- Repeat but switch your legs.
4. Arm Swings
Swing into one of the simplest dynamic stretches before a workout with arm swings, an exercise that’ll warm up your entire upper body and loosen up your arms. Warming up the upper body is often forgotten, which is super sad because shoulder injuries happen all… the… time. Warm them up and you will be much less likely to become a statistic.
Here’s how to do them:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart
- Hold up arms horizontally off to the sides
- Swing your arms forward, crossing them in front of you
- Swing them back as far as you can
- Repeat for 30 seconds, making your motions as fluid as possible
5. Vinyasa Flow
Vinyasa Flow is an age-old series of moves that’s a staple of every yogi and fitness enthusiast. It might seem like a basic stretching routine, but each move will hit a different part of our body to give you a smooth, full-body dynamic stretch.
Here’s how to get your flow on:
- Get in plank position
- Lower down your body halfway
- Bend your upper body up to stretch your back and chest
- Pull your hips back into downward dog position, keeping your arms and legs straight
- Repeat 5 times fluidly
Now, this might be our favorite list of warmup exercises before a workout, but it’s up to you to make your own basic stretching routine. For more warmup ideas, sign up for a 7-Day Free Trial with Studio SWEAT onDemand to get an entire week of fat-burning workouts, awesome dynamic stretches, and live online classes. There’s even a crowd favorite 5 minute dynamic warm-up video there that you can take advantage of. See the moves as taught by real, world-class trainers, and watch them anytime, anywhere. So, loosen up, and get sweatin’!BODY-SCULPTING WORKOUTS. NON-STOP NEW RELEASES | Pick Your All Access Pass Now!