How, oh how do we achieve those V-cut abs? This much-coveted shape is the ultimate symbol of health, fitness, low body fat, and a strong core — so we’re not surprised that so many people think of it as their ultimate fitness goal. Achieving strong obliques may be a bit difficult, but with the right ab workouts, we can help you get a little bit closer to a sleek, swimmer’s core.
What Are Obliques?
In the simplest terms, the obliques are our side ab muscles. But technically, they’re two sets of muscle fibers that run perpendicular to each other from the ribs to the hips. They’re integral to our ability to breathe, move from side to side, and turn our torso.
Ready to learn how to get those V-cut abs with the best oblique exercises? Let’s go.
Side Plank with Leg Lift
There are ins and outs to oblique exercises, but this one is worth it for the burn. Just remember to keep your back straight to engage your core!
How it’s done:
- From a sitting position, lean back until you’re resting on your tailbone
- Put your hands behind your back for support
- Engage your core
- Lift your legs off the ground until they’re in a tabletop position
- Keep your balance and hold for 30 seconds
- Rest, then repeat 2 more times
This upper body workout with a twist (literally) works the obliques like nothing else.
How it’s done:
- Holding a dumbbell with both hands, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
- With your arms extended and knees slightly bent, hold the weight slightly to the left
- Using the momentum of twisting your left foot, twist your body to the right
- At the same time, swing the dumbbell up and across your body
- Keep your arms straight
- Bring the dumbbell back to starting position
- Repeat 8x, then switch to the other side for 8x
- Rest for 30 seconds, then repeat the reps 2 more times.
Really, the best thing you can do to achieve V-cut abs is to stick to a healthy diet and a regular fitness regimen. Our physiques, genetics, and body fat content play an important role in how our abs look, so it’s important that you focus more on eating right and achieving strong obliques.
And of course, we can help you get there – if you want access to some amazing fat-torching workouts, sign up for our 7-Day Free Trial. At Studio SWEAT OnDemand, you’ll find amazing virtual workouts ranging from Spin, TRX, HIIT, Bootcamp, Yoga, and more. Best of all, you can stream them anytime, anywhere.
Founder, Studio SWEAT onDemand
Register Today to Get Access to Over a Hundred Body Sculpting Classes
by Signing Up for Your FREE 7 Day Trial