Tennnnn-Hut! It’s time to ship you into shape, soldiers! Ok, we’ll reel it in a little, but the point we’re trying to make is a simple one. If you’re looking for a body-sculpting, calorie-scorching workout, using minimal-if-any equipment, it’s the bombastic Boot Camp workout.
The beauty of good Boot Camp exercises is that they check off tons of boxes for your overall health and fitness: they keep your heart rate up, build lean muscle mass, help you tone up, burn calories, and hit a plethora of muscle groups from head to toe. And the best Boot Camp exercises reach deep down inside of you and deliver some pretty amazing mental health benefits, like an elevated mood, decreased anxiety, and reduced stress levels.
A great way to do these Boot Camp exercises is in a circuit of 30 seconds working, with a 10 to 15 second transition to get to the next exercise. Once you’ve completed a full circuit (at about 60% intensity), take 1-minute and then come back around and start again (elevated to 80%), and then a third time (at 100% intensity) if you have the energy (or desire).
So, are you ready to strap on those boots and get to work? You bet you are, fall in!
Starting off nice and easy, jumping jacks are a great way to get your heart rate up. You probably know how to do these, but here’s a little refresher:
- Start with your arms at your sides, and legs together.
- Jump up and push your legs to your sides, about shoulder-width apart, arms lifted directly overhead.
- Jump back to return to starting position.
Mountain climbers require nothing more than the floor, a little oomph, plus a whole lot of sweat.
- Start from a plank position, with your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Kick your right knee forward as far as you can, close to the chest.
- Bring your right leg back to the starting position, followed by your left.
- Repeat in a quick, fluid motion.
Taking the all-powerful squat up a few notches, the jumping squat is a highly effective Boot Camp exercise that’s sure to push your body in all the right places.
- From a standing position, drop down into a squat, pressing your glutes out behind you, with your knees only slightly in front of your toes.
- Spring up in one explosive motion onto a raised surface (such as a box or stair), and you could also do these on flat ground – just squat then jump up into the air.
- Jump up as high as you can, toes pointing downward.
- Return as softly as you can, catching your weight by going back into the squat position, landing first on the balls of your feet.
HUNDREDS OF BODY-SCULPTING CLASSES | Sign up for your 7-day free trial now!
Speed skaters are a fun and low-impact Boot Camp exercise that delivers maximum effect. Here’s how you tackle ‘em:
- Start with both feet together, standing up.
- Jump to the side and land on your outside foot, keeping your inner leg bent but not touching the ground.
- Swing your inner arm forward at each jump to help you maintain balance.
- Jump to the opposite side and repeat.
Lunges/Jumping Split Lunges
For our next Boot Camp exercise, you’ve got the option of either a normal lunge, or the more challenging jumping split lunge.
- Starting with both feet together, standing up, step forward with your right leg.
- Bend your right leg at the knee to a 45-degree angle, lowering your back (left) leg close to the ground (but do not touch the ground).
- Return to starting position and switch sides.
For the jumping split lunge, jump up in between each lunge, switching your legs’ positioning each time.
V-Ups are a core-and-quad shredding exercise that are perfect for Boot Camp workouts, as they tighten your midsection, and improve lower body strength at the same time.
- Lie on your back, with legs straight in front of you and arms stretched over your head.
- Breathe out, tighten your abs, and lift both your arms and legs up.
- Try to form a v-shape with your body, with your torso at a 45 degree angle to the floor.
- Inhale and return your body to the floor, trying not to touch your hands or feet to the floor.
That’s it! The beauty of Boot Camp exercises is that you can mix and match to your heart’s content. But if you’re looking for a more guided Boot Camp workout, we’ve got you! At Studio SWEAT onDemand, we deliver a huge library of streaming fitness classes, complete with a full collection of Streaming Boot Camp Classes. If that wets your whistle, be sure to sign up for our 7-Day Free Trial, where you can experience other favorites like Indoor Cycling, TRX, HIIT, Yoga, Barre, and tons more — totally free! Sign up today, lace up those boots, and get after it, soldier!BODY-SCULPTING WORKOUTS. NON-STOP NEW RELEASES | Pick Your All Access Pass Now!