|In our Lean, Mean & Quarantined series, we’re giving you exercises you can do at home using everyday household items! Each blog will be focused on one individual muscle group, to give you a full-body workout – no equipment needed!|
For the last blog in this Lean, Mean & Quarantined series, we turn to the ever-important, often-overlooked core muscles! If you haven’t heard already (and if you haven’t, where have you been hiding??) the core is where it’s at: a strong midsection can lead to better balance, posture, and lower back strength, not to mention preventing injuries! Since every gym hasn’t opened up just yet, let’s take a look at the five best core exercises that you can do from home – no equipment required!
Towel Plank Tuckup
Here’s a terrific core exercise that’s sure to get that belly burning! Unlike some of the other exercises in this workout, this one actually requires a hard, somewhat slippery surface to work on.
What you’ll need: medium-sized towel
- Start off with your arms placed below you, arms slightly wider than shoulder-width apart
- Keep your feet behind you and your back flat – with a towel beneath your toes
- Slide your feet forward and bring the towel under your hips
- Slide back out to starting position
- Repeat 5 reps, 3 times
Soup Can Plank
Here’s a clever twist on the classic plank move – instead of just a normal, static plank motion, we get creative with our balance, strength, and stability with the aid of a handy little soup can!
What you’ll need: soup can
- Start off in plank position, with your elbows directly under your shoulders and your feet balanced on your toes
- Keep the soup can in front of you, about a foot in front of your hands
- Reach forward with the right hand, move the soup can to directly under your belly button
- Reach back with the left hand and place the soup can back to starting position
- Continue with opposite side
- Repeat 10 reps, 3 sets
This oblique twist acts as a mini super set – switching the work from side to side, yet always engaging your core. You can play with the weight, but we suggest going a little heavier.
What you’ll need: gallon of milk, or bag of rice
- Sit down with your feet flat on the floor in front of you
- Grasp your weight and hold it to your chest
- Slowly lift your feet while you lean back, creating a ‘V’ shape with your body
- Move the weight to your right and left side, alternating back and forth
- Repeat for 3 sets of 15 reps
Seated Flutter Kick
The beauty of at-home core workouts is that you’re typically doing very little movement, while your midsection has a very silent screaming fit! This flutter kick is no exception – you don’t look like you’re doing anything, but you really, really are. And your core will thank you.
What you’ll need: a firm, comfortable chair
- Sitting on the chair, grasp the seat below you with both hands
- Slowly lift up both legs in front of you, as high as you can
- Begin to flutter your feet, one foot on top of the other and vice versa
- Repeat for 20 reps for 3 sets
Walking Lunge with Twist
Ok we gotta warn you, this one’s a bit more complicated. But if you’ve made it this far, we know you can totally crush this! In addition to a super-strong core workout, this one will also work your legs at the same time. Since this is our last exercise in our at-home core workout routine, let’s make this one count!
What you’ll need: paint can or gallon of milk
- Holding your weight with both hands at chest level, step forward into a lunge
- As you step forward onto your right foot, twist your body to the left side
- Return to starting position
- Alternate sides
- Try 2 sets of 20 lunges
Are you feeling that yet? Bet your booty you are! Now, while you’re all sweaty and pumped up, and while you got those endorphins sweating, ask yourself: don’t you wanna feel like this all the time? Well now you can! With a 7-Day Free Trial with Studio SWEAT onDemand, you’ll get access to tons of our at-home workouts that you can stream directly to your TV or smart device. And our live and onDemand workouts are guaranteed to get you sweating and moving from the comfort of your home. So don’t wait, you hard-core-crushing machine – sign up and let’s do this!BODY-SCULPTING WORKOUTS. NON-STOP NEW RELEASES | Pick Your All Access Pass Now!