|In our Lean, Mean & Quarantined series, we’re giving you exercises you can do at home using everyday household items! Each blog will be focused on one individual muscle group, to give you a full-body workout – no equipment needed!|
Ok, so you still can’t get back into the gym for a bruiser of a back workout. What are you gonna do about it? At Studio SWEAT onDemand, we like to make our own opportunities, pull ourselves up by the TRX straps, and get to work. That’s why we’ve come up with the best at home back workout, no equipment required.
Think you need a bunch of expensive weights, bands, and machines to get pumping? Think again, because all you need to do these back exercises are common household items that we’re pretty sure you’ve got lying around. So here we go – open those cabinets, raid the pantry, and explore your closets, because here comes the best home back workout ever!
Single-Arm Bent Over Row
This is a classic back exercise that really works your lats, while engaging your traps and rhomboids among others. The beauty of this one is that it’s easily customizable – just find a jug of liquid with a good strong handle and at a weight that is challenging yet manageable.
What you’ll need: 5 Gallon Water Jug or Gallon of Milk, Couch
- Rest your left hand and left knee on your couch, back parallel to the ground
- Reach down with your right hand and pick up the 5 or 1-gallon jug
- Lift vertically, stopping at your chest, and return to starting position
- Repeat for 10 reps, and then switch to the opposite side
- Do 3 sets on both sides
Two-Arm Bent Over Row
Like the single-arm, this at-home back exercise uses tons of your upper back muscles, including your posterior delts, traps, rhomboids, and lats. The secret here is to fill any backpack with water bottles or canned foods and take one out after every set. That’ll make sure you’re pushing yourself to your max!
What you’ll need: Backpack, 5-10 water bottles or canned goods
- From a standing position, bend your knees
- Lean forward at your waist, keeping your back straight
- Pick your backpack up off the floor, lifting it to your waist
- Return to starting position
- Repeat 3 sets of 10 reps
Here’s a fun one. The inverted row hold will find you upside down, dangling from a broomstick, while also giving your back and core a blistering workout.
What you’ll need: 2 chairs, wooden broomstick
- Balance a sturdy wooden broomstick across two chairs
- Lay underneath, grasp the handle with your palms facing your face
- With your feet flat on the ground, lift your upper body up
- Hold for 25 seconds, and drop down slowly
- Repeat for 3 sets
Ah, the famous Kettlebell! This magical piece of iron does it all. But what if you don’t have these expensive muscle-building tools just lying around? Simple!
What you’ll need: Large bag of rice
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Hold the bag of rice in front of your body with both hands, arms straight
- With a flat back and bent knees, drop down and swing the bag between your legs
- Thrust hips forward as you stand up straight again in starting position
- Try 5 sets of 10 reps, resting for a minute in between
Have you got a couple of old spare tires lying around? Whether they’re from an old jalopy you haven’t driven in years, or that tire-swing you once tried to build, these heavy rubber weights are just begging to be put to good use. And with this simple move, you’ll not only get a great back workout, but you also get a total-body pump!
What you’ll need: 2 old tires
- With your arms straight, bend down and grasp two tires of equal weight
- Keeping your arms straight, walk forward for ten steps, carefully set the tires down
- Repeat the motion for 5 sets
- If you need more weight, you can put tools, books, or other objects inside the tires
Well now, we sure hope you enjoy this amazing at-home back workout. But if you get a little lonely and wanna try some butt-kickin’ group fitness classes, sign up for a 7-Day Free Trial here at Studio SWEAT onDemand. We’ve got a huge library of workouts for you to choose from, tons that require no equipment at all! In fact, all you need is a living room, some comfy clothes, and the will to SWEAT. Our passionate trainers, a wide variety of classes, and a worldwide community of members will be there to push you on. So don’t sit on your couch, waiting for the gym to reopen. Create your own gym, right at home!BODY-SCULPTING WORKOUTS. NON-STOP NEW RELEASES | Pick Your All Access Pass Now!