If you’re looking to spruce your caboose with an awesome butt-sculpting workout, boy have we got the guide for you. Whether you want the best glute workout for mass or a more natural alternative to a Brazilian Butt Lift, we’ve created a must-see list of amazing butt exercises to help you tone your tush.
But (pun so… intended), back up—other than the obvious head-turning reason, why should we even devote time to our glutes? For one thing, our glutes play a major part in big movements like running and jumping. And believe it or not, strengthening your glutes can help prevent lower back and hip pain!
So now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s take a look at 5 bun sculpting exercises that even Sir-Mix-A-Lot can get behind!
- Jump Squats
Ready for one of the best butt exercises that’ll also give you #quadgoals? We bet that this super-simple move will have you over the moon! Just make sure your knees don’t extend past your toes during the squat portion—doing this will protect your knees from wear and tear.
- Start position: standing with feet shoulder-width apart
- Squat down by pushing your butt back and leaning your chest forward
- Jump up explosively
- Land as quietly as possible into the squat position
- Do 10 reps 2-3x
- Single-Leg Deadlifts
We’re taking a stand for the best butt exercises ever—literally. Right now, we’re really into single-leg deadlifts, these deceptively simple moves that target your hammies and glutes with one fell swoop. When done right (and left), single-leg deadlifts just might be the best glute workout for adding more mass in your… well, you know.
- Grab two weights, one for each hand
- Hold the weights down in front of your hips
- Lean forward, being careful to slide the weight right along your planted leg, almost like you’re shaving it
- Slightly bend your right knee as you lift your left leg behind you by squeezing your right glute, keeping both hips square to the floor and hold for a few seconds
- Push your hips forward, slowly dropping the lifted leg until you’re standing with both feet down again
- Do 10 reps for each leg 2-3x
- Curtsy Lunge
Let’s pay tribute to one of the efficient, most effective butt-sculpting workouts out there: the curtsy lunge. This lunge with a twist targets the inner thighs, the gluteus medius (aka your “side booty”), and don’t let the name fool you—these are the best butt exercises for women and men alike.
- From a standing position, take a step back with your right leg crossing it behind your left leg as if you were going to do a curtsy.
- Once the left leg is forward and bent at a 90° angle, return to the start position
- Repeat for the left leg
- Do 12 reps for each side 3x
- Hip Extensions
No, hip extensions aren’t just a trendy way to put a little more junk in your trunk—they’re an awesome way to target your glutes with as little impact on your knees and legs as possible. It’s versatile too; if you want to make this glute workout a little harder, all you need to do is add a resistance band to pump it up.
- Start with your hands and knees on the floor in a table top position
- Keep your back flat
- Raise your left leg, still bent, with your foot turned out slightly
- Squeeze your glutes at the height of the movement
- Set your left leg down
- Repeat with the other leg
- Do 10 reps 2-3x
- Barbell Deadlift
It’s high time your glutes and hamstrings did the heavy lifting—and with the barbell deadlift, you’ve got the perfect workout. Just keep in mind that this is a tricky move, so you’ll need to take extra precaution when it comes to protecting your back: make sure you have a slight arch in your lower back and your chest out during the lift.
- Standing tall with your arms straight down, palms back and feet hip-width apart, hold a loaded barbell
- Bend at the hip, and with a slight bend in your knees slide the bar down your shins as you press your buns and hips back
- Then thrust your hips forward and push your chest up to lift the bar
- At the top of the movement, squeeze your glutes
- Lower the bar and repeat.
- Do 10 reps 2-3x
We sure hope you liked our guide to making your gluteus more maximus, but if you’re looking for more than a fairer derriere, sign up for Studio SWEAT onDemand’s 7-Day Free Trial. With our hot workouts you can stream any time, on any device, you can squeeze in our fat-torching classes whenever you want, wherever you want. And, in addition to the best, butt-sculpting workouts, you can choose from a variety of full-body and targeted workouts like Spin, TRX, Barre, Bootcamp, and more. Ready? Now let’s move those assets!