|In our Lean, Mean & Quarantined series, we’re giving you exercises you can do at home using everyday household items! Each blog will be focused on one individual muscle group, to give you a full-body workout – no equipment needed!|
With summer finally upon us, are you ready to bust out those shapely shoulders and polish those glamorous guns? Not quite yet, eh? Well not to worry – that’s what we’re here for! Having a powerhouse upper body is key to boosting your overall strength, not to mention giving you a confidence boost come tank top season!
And with gyms just starting to reopen (like our very own, ahem ahem!) we still feel like it’s time to take you through an absolutely shredding shoulder workout at home, no weights required! Because you might not live near Studio SWEAT, and you might not yet feel comfortable venturing out into the work-outside world just yet! So get ready – here comes the best at-home shoulder workout around!
One great thing about shoulder workouts is that you don’t need to use that much weight to feel the burn! This twist on the old classic is sure to get those gains right from your living room.
What you’ll need: Wine Bottles (full or empty, depending on your strength)
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms hanging at your sides
- Pick up two bottles, and raise your arms directly to your sides
- Continue until your arms are parallel with your shoulders, palms facing downward
- Slowly lower arms to starting position
- Repeat 3 sets of 10 reps
Moving on to another home shoulder exercise that also tackles your upper back – we’ve got the reverse fly. You also get to engage your core with this one, so make sure to keep proper form throughout the movements.
What you’ll need: Soup cans (large or small)
- With feet shoulder-width apart, bend forward at your hips, holding soup cans in your hands
- Bend until your chest is almost parallel to the ground, letting the cans hang forward
- Keeping your back flat, raise arms to your sides, extending to the height of the shoulders
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together at the very top of the movement, slowly return to starting position
- Repeat 3 sets of 7 reps
Ten-hut! We don’t know about you, but we always feel a bit like a drill sergeant when doing the military press. And that’s a good thing, soldier! This motion is great with a barbell, so time to make our own!
What you’ll need: Broomstick, 2 Milk Jugs or Juice Bottles, Rope
- Step back with one foot, to give you support
- Pick up your makeshift barbell up to eye-height, elbows directly beneath your hands
- Lift slowly directly above you, let down even slower
- Repeat 3 sets of 10 reps
Decline Couch Push-Up
This is a fun one. All you need is a couch (not so fast – you won’t be sitting on it), and a bit of room on the floor. If you want, place a towel or yoga mat under your hands for more comfort. And remember, the higher your feet, the harder the workout. We guarantee that your lazy boy will definitely feel a little less lazy.
What you’ll need: Couch, Carpeted Floor (or Mat)
- With your feet up on the couch, get into a push-up position
- Keep your arms in a slightly wider position than your shoulders
- Lower yourself slowly down, stopping one fist-width from the floor
- Hold, then bring yourself up
- Repeat 4 sets of 5 reps
We’re just gonna say it – you WILL feel this one in the morning! But the benefits of this full-body shoulder explosion are many. You actually don’t need any equipment with this one at all, just the motivation to shred!
What you’ll need: Floor
- Get into a plank position, legs locked, hands under your shoulders
- Lift your right arm straight ahead of you, level with your head
- As you place it back down, lift your left leg
- Touch your right hand to your left leg under you
- Repeat on the other side
- Continue for 3 sets of 5 reps (if you can!)
Well, we hope you’ve enjoyed this sweltering, shredding, sweaty, supreme shoulder workout! Make this part of your workout plan and you will see results. Now, if you get a little lonely and wanna add some amazingly inspiring group fitness classes to the mix, sign up for a 7-Day Free Trial with Studio SWEAT onDemand. We’ve got tons of upper-body, lower-body, core, and cardio classes that you can stream directly from your smart device. So that’s it! Are you ready for tank top season? You’re darn right you are – no shrugging allowed!BODY-SCULPTING WORKOUTS. NON-STOP NEW RELEASES | Pick Your All Access Pass Now!